Monday, September 3, 2012

Run #15 - June 7th, 2012

Today's run was tough, not to mention a giant wake up call. I hadn't run outside in two weeks because of the conference. Then some post conference crazy at work happened and I needed yoga more than I needed running this week. But when I woke up today and realized it is already June 7th, which means this half marathon is literally 2.5 weeks away. 

It has already been ridiculously hot this June and even the thought of running after work makes me sweat, but I honestly cannot drag myself out of bed to do a morning run before work. So today, I had to do an evening run. 

I wanted to push myself to do another 5 miles and I came close, but ultimately I lost the battle with my feet. I started out on my 5 mile route and was doing good for the first mile, but miles 1-2 was full of side cramps and sweat. At one point I got smacked in the face by a sprinkler, which would have felt good, if it had been a gentler sprinkler, but that one almost knocked me right off balance. Around mile three, my feet began hurting and that little running enemy called blisters, started to form. I kept going, because I had no other way to get home and I wanted to end the pain as quickly as possible, but around mile 3.5 - 4.5 it became a pretty painful run/walk. Thankfully, at mile 4.5 a woman had found a lost dog and needed help locating the street name on his collar, so I sat down with her and we looked it up on my phone. I helped her get the dog to its owner and then took off my shoes and hobbled the last half mile home.

There is no way I am going to be able to pull this off. The furthest I have ever run was 5 miles and that was three weeks prior. How on earth am I going to add another 8 miles to that is 2.5 weeks? This half marathon was really a bad idea. 

Lesson Learned: I need to buy something called 'wicking socks', to keep my feet dry and blister free.  
Distance: 4.51 miles
Time: 50:16

No comments:

Post a Comment