Sunday, January 20, 2013

Run #17, June 16, 2012

Fort Collins is covered in a cloud of smoke, ash and dust. Running over the past few weeks has been brutal because of the constant 100 degree weather, which is now coupled with a plague of fires that has descended on our state, leaving its evidence lingering in our previously pristine air.

The half marathon is a mere six days away and breathing has become a difficult task. Because of the running challenges were a facing here, my friend Sara and I decided to go for a trail run out of town, to give our lungs a break.

We woke up early to beat the heat and drove south for about an hour to link up with the St. Vrain trail in Longmont. My plan was to try and hit 7 miles, while Sara was going for 9-10. I am a much slower runner, so we figured that Sara would lap me at some point, and we would both just run at our own pace.

We started out on a beautiful trail and it didn't take long for Sara to pass me with her gazelle stride. It was nice to be on an unknown path, which mean my run was not predictable, and held no expectations except to run.

I planned to run on the trail until I had gone 3.5 miles and then turn around. But between the music and the scenery, I decided to go a bit further. I turned around at mile 4 and was fairly excited that I might make it 8 miles today. Then at mile 5, I was slapped with an crippling side cramp. I stopped for a minute, drank some water, ate some nuts and stretched it out. After a few minutes, I was up and running again.

There was so much activity on the trail, including a man juggling while running, a really tall man on a really tall bike and to top it off, every so often the horizon was filled with an array of colors as sky divers pulled open their parachutes. It was a really entertaining run, which kept me distracted from my own thoughts, which are the biggest barrier in my running.

When I hit mile 8 and was at the end of the trail, I felt like I could keep going, so I lapped a lake a few times, thinking I would stop when I saw Sara, but when I iPhone announced I had hit 9 miles, and my feet felt like they had been standing for days, I decided it was time to stop, sit and hydrate. Sara resurfaced a bit later. She had her own side cramp issue that she had to battle through as well.

I can honestly say, I am starting to understand the 'runner's high' I have heard referenced, but always thought was a delusion. There is something to be said about how good you feel after a really strong run. And although, I still hate running, I might be starting to understand it better.

Lesson Learned: I need to get out of my head.
Distance: 9.03 miles
Time: 1:40

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Great information! Would you please consider sharing my link to your readers? Please email me back at haileyxhailey gmail.com.

    Thanks!
    Hailey

    ReplyDelete